During the last decade of nineteenth century, a Massive desert lying between
chanab and ravi rivers was Brought under plough. With the construction of
the lower Chanab canal, it became possible to irrigate this Waterless
wasteland. In 1892, the colonization Operations were started by the
administration of Jhang District, punjab province and completed in 1898.
Early 1904 a new district was formed by the name of Lyallpur With its
headquarter at Lyallpur (now Faisalabad) a town Named after sir james lyall,
lieutenant Governor of the Punjab. On september 1, 1977, lyallpur was
renamed as Faisalabad after king faisal of saudi arabia in Recognition of
his outstanding services to Pakistan. Today, Faisalabad is the third largest
city of pakistan After karachi and lahore. It is the second revenue-
Generating city of the Punjab province and is calleo as Manchester of
Pakistan because of its predominance in The textile industry.